In middle aged to elderly men breast gland tissue gets enlarged, which is misunderstood to be fat deposits. It is a condition called gynecomastia, which results from grandular growth and is present in small amount among men.
Signs & symptoms of gynecomastia
- Enlargement of glandular tissue around male breast nipples can be unilateral or on both sides.
- Sensitive and tenderness feel exists but no severe pain.
If you experience such symptoms consult professional gynecomastia Toronto clinic.
Who suffers from gynecomastia?
Pubertal men are at risk of suffering from gynecomastia. It is part of normal growth process. Even male infants can have gynecomastia.
Risk factors include –
- It can be due to specific disease and condition like cirrhosis, malnutrition & re-feeding, as there is a hormonal change.
- Male sex organ disorders [testes] causes’ reduction in testosterone production and increase in estrogen levels.
- Hyperthyroidism and chronic renal failure are also associated with enlargement of male breast.
- Certain medication increases the risk of developing gynecomastia.
- Testicular tumours can generate hormones, which triggers this issue.
- Aging promotes lessening of testosterone and cause male breast enlargement.
Causes of gynecomastia and how much it lasts, during puberty
Gynecomastia is the result of imbalance in hormonal levels, which increases female hormones [estrogen] in proportion to male hormones [androgens]. Normally developing kids and pubertal boys experience this condition, which gets resolved on its known and is called physiologic gynecomastia.
In puberty, hormones fluctuate and can cause changes in estrogen and androgen levels in human body. It is a temporary phase and if it persists for more than two years beyond puberty then is called persistent pubertal gynecomastia.
Consult doctor before trying any medication or creams, if you think you are developing gynecomastia.